Sunday, 15 September 2013

BUMPER POST: New York Fashion Week

I know, I know, this post is slightly tardy as London Fashion Week has already commenced and has already been in it's second day and is starting the third; I should get a smack on the back of the hand.

Nevertheless it is here now. Just has passed on of the most exciting weeks on the planet. New York Fashion Week. This past week has been crazy busy working as an intern for a designer in preparation for London Fashion Week, and stuck on the other side of the earth has meant that I've had to rely on trusty ol' style.com. However I did manage to catch a live stream of the Cushnie et Ochs show... it was incredible, I don't know if it's due to my own excitement but the lead up with the buzz of the crowd made watching the live stream off my computer screen almost exhilarating. God bless technology.

There were countless shows and I don't want to bore you with the details, but I will give small previews of the collections that were definitely my favourite; attempting to also highlight key trends and design details!

----------------

Overall NYFW showed a laid-back, almost minimalist (in cut and silhouette) design aesthetic look which ranged from almost completely monochromatic to a fiesta of colour. Also, it seems as if the nineties are back and here to stay. As seen in the overalls and bare midriffs that glided down the catwalks.

Geometrics were also quite the focus, not only in prints but also in design details, the play with the cutting up of the body with the garments, the separation between sheer and opaque materials, pleating, etc. The sheer vs. opaque aspect was also explored by designers whilst they toyed with layering for the warmer months.

In addition to the monotone theme that ran through most runways, one key colour that is looking to be big this season is PINK but not quite pink as we know and love it, whilst the runways of New York mostly consisted of muted tones there were a few stand-out colours and pink was definitely one of them. Maybe it's part of the nineties revival, as for some reason (don't ask why) pink always brings me back to the past.

I loved NYFW, particularly the overall relaxed atmosphere, though there was something so energetic about it all; maybe it's because I'm finally industry that I'm looking at fashion week with a proper gleam in my innocent, naïve, all-is-beautiful-with-the-world eyes that I'm seeing this in the collections; but who said that an achromatic colour palette can't be exciting? Heck, some of the most inspirational photos are so inspirational because they're B&W. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the romanticism associated with the greyscale.

------------------

I am, and have been, attempting to compile all of my favourite looks from my favourite shows but there are so many and I don't want to bombard this post with even more content. So, I will pick a few and then do follow-up posts in the upcoming months.

------------------

                                            3.1 Phillip Lim                                                                         Alexander Wang

                                                Altuzarra                                                                                       Araks

                                           Bibhu Mohapatra                                                                 Creatures of Comfort

                                        Cushnie et Ochs                                                                               Jason Wu

                                             Lyn Devon                                                                           Narciso Rodriguez

                                        Ostwald Helgason                                                                             Peter Som

                                              Rodebjer                                                                                    The Row

                                                   Tome                                                                                       Vera Wang

                                Victoria Beckham                                                                     Vivienne Tam
All pictures are from style.com

 /\  /\ 
(>'.'<)  x

No comments:

Post a Comment